|photo courtesy of Habitat for Humanity|
In a few days word about Habitat’s Yolanda response was all over social media; bloggers, celebrities, and other willing individuals readily stepped-up to help spread the word and rally for donations. With millions in donations coming in, Habitat quickly went to work distributing emergency Shelter Repair Kits across affected areas. In the weeks and months that followed, social media support continued.
• Worldwide, there are over 1.15 billion Facebook users and more than 550 million registered Twitter users.
• 72% of all internet users are on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blog sites)
• In the Philippines, there are 41 million internet users; 30 million of which are on social media.
Given the vast reach of this medium, Habitat for Humanity is proactively engaging social media influencers like you to boost our social media presence and tap the huge online market with our mission of helping those in need.
Habitat endeavors to shed light on and address the growing problem of poverty housing in the country by promoting policies, encouraging donations, inviting volunteers, and spreading the word about Habitat and its mission.
Habitat works to provide decent shelter to families living in sub-standard, deplorable conditions. Over 1.6 billion of the world’s population live in inappropriate housing where children live in unhealthy conditions and families struggle daily to survive.
A home restores hope and provides stability among families and communities. In decent housing, the walls are strong and the roof is secure—and the family inside focuses more on thriving than on surviving.
Habitat hopes to inspire these people to continue supporting Habitat’s work in their own way and through their own network of influence. With the undeniable power and vast reach of social media, Habitat is excited at the prospect of engaging more volunteers, donors, and advocates through this support group.
• To build valuable relationship with key social media influencers who will serve as Habitat’s spokespersons online.
• To boost Habitat’s presence and visibility in key social media sites.
• To reach a wider audience online— increase Facebook likes and Twitter/Instagram followers.
• To utilize social media channels as a potential tool to drive donations, volunteer sign-ups, and advocacy support.
By signing Habitat’s Pledge of Commitment willing bloggers and guests were tagged “Habitat Online Champion” a title reserved for those who are up for the challenge and journey of using their influence and network to spread the word about Habitat, its programs, and advocacies.
Regular “Social Media Circle” gathering will be held to share news and updates with these Online Champions.